Like every medical device or treatment, time brings more technological advances. The latest and safest liposuction available today is provided by laser technology. There are a few key differences in function, safety, discomfort, recovery time, and results compared to traditional liposuction.
Read on to learn more about each treatment to determine which type of liposuction is best for your needs.
Liposuction is one of the most common surgical treatments performed in the United States. Many people have areas of their body that they wish were slimmer and trimmed or contoured differently. When eating a healthy diet and exercise fail to make substantial improvements in these trouble spots, liposuction can help.
Liposuction has seen many advances in technology and innovations and is the perfect treatment for removing unwanted fat from just about any area of the body.
Standard Liposuction Treatment Areas
Lipo is a minimally invasive treatment that helps remove unwanted fat from the following areas:
- Upper arms
Laser liposuction uses a particular type of medical device made exclusively for performing laser-assisted lipolysis. Additionally, laser liposuction provides a level of skin tightening that does not occur with traditional liposuction. The high-energy beams of laser penetrate the skin and heat the innermost structures. This additional process stimulates new collagen and elastin growth within the skin. Not only do results provide you with less fat, but this treatment also creates better skin function and appearance that continues to improve over time.
Your provider will start by making a small incision where a thin tube that contains the smart lipo laser fiber will be inserted into the fatty areas you’re looking to target. The laser fiber passes on the thermal energy directly into the fat cells. This process disrupts the fatty tissue and melts the fat for a more gentle and straightforward removal process. The tissue around the treatment area begins to tighten through coagulation and contributes to a smoother overall shape.
How Treatments Are Similar
While traditional liposuction treatments and laser liposuction are two different procedures, there are some similarities between them.
- Weight Loss. Neither traditional liposuction nor laser liposuction treatments are categorized as weight loss procedures. Liposuction isn’t a substitute for proper diet and exercise or a quick fix for obesity.
- Treatment Areas. Both procedures can be successfully used to treat unwanted fat areas, including the arms, love handles, and double chin.
- Definition. Both treatments can help you look and feel more defined by removing the fat that covers your muscles.
- Number of Treatments. Both procedures can be performed in a few hours and only require one treatment.
How They Differ
Both treatments are incredibly effective for removing unwanted fat from various areas of the body. There are a few key differences to consider when determining which liposuction treatment is right for you.
- Technique. Traditional liposuction uses physical manipulation and a cannula to suction the fat from under your skin. Laser liposuction uses heat to liquefy and soften the fat before removal.
- Type of Procedure. Laser liposuction is considered less invasive than traditional liposuction; however, both are still considered surgery.
- Anesthesia Used. Both treatments require the use of anesthesia. General anesthesia is used for traditional liposuction. Laser lipo is performed under Comfort Calm Local Anesthesia, meaning you’ll be awake, alert, and comfortable during the procedure.
- Candidacy. Laser liposuction is ideal for anyone within 20 percent of their ideal body weight struggling with stubborn fat. Traditional liposuction is a better option for anyone with a more considerable amount of volume they’re looking to reduce.
- Recovery. A longer recovery time is required for traditional liposuction, and patients can expect some swelling, bruising, and soreness for several weeks. Laser liposuction offers a faster recovery; however, compression garments are still required for four to six weeks.
Request a Liposuction Consultation
There are many benefits from liposuction, regardless of if you choose traditional liposuction, laser liposuction, or even another type of fat reduction treatment. If you’re looking for minimal downtime and you don’t have a large amount of volume to remove, laser liposuction may be the better treatment for you. Additionally, laser liposuction allows you to remain awake during your treatment. However, if you need an immense amount of volume removed, traditional liposuction may be the better choice.
If you’re ready to learn more about liposuction, contact Hinsdale Vein & Laser. Our friendly staff is here to help you schedule a consultation appointment where your fat reduction treatment options can be discussed in further detail.