What is Platelet Rich Plasma, or PRP?
PRP is an exciting, state-of-the-art technology being used to treat medical and aesthetic concerns ranging from prematurely aging skin to musculoskeletal injuries to sexual dysfunction, using natural methods to eliminate the risk of side effects or allergic reactions.
Your blood consists mainly of liquid plasma, with smaller amounts of solid components like red cells, white cells and platelets. Platelets help to clot blood, and also contain important healing proteins. Dr. Alkadri creates platelet rich plasma by drawing a small amount of a patient’s blood, and then spinning it in a centrifuge to separate platelets from the other components. This concentrated plasma can then be used in a variety of treatments to encourage healing and stimulate cell growth.
Learn more about the PRP treatments available in Hinsdale:
How is platelet rich plasma prepared?
- First, Dr. Alkadri takes a sample of your blood.
- The sample is then processed so that the different components separate.
- The resulting platelets are highly concentrated.
- These platelets are then reintroduced to the blood’s plasma, and injected into the specific treatment area.
- As the injections contain such a high concentration of platelets (between 5-10 times more than standard blood), the PRP encourages rapid healing and cell growth.
What are the benefits of PRP treatments?
There are a variety of benefits exclusive to platelet rich plasma, as it is a unique cosmetic treatment.
- There is an extremely low risk of side effects, as the PRP is derived from your own blood and is not a foreign entity. The most common effects patients experience are redness and mild swelling for only 12-24 hours after treatment.
- Treatment is versatile and can stimulate cell growth and rejuvenation in areas across the body.
- The treatment process is quick and comfortable, with the treatment area being numbed before PRP is injected.
- PRP triggers the body’s own healing mechanisms, leading to natural-looking results.
- PRP facials improve a wide variety of cosmetic concerns with just one treatment option.
What conditions can be treated with PRP therapy?
Platelet rich plasma can be used in different ways to achieve your unique cosmetic or therapeutic goals. Dr. Alkadri is an expert provider and will discuss your projected outcome prior to beginning treatment.Some of the most popular treatment goals for PRP therapy include:
- Improving fine lines and wrinkles
- Subtly tightening the skin
- Combating volume loss with increased collagen and elastin production
- Smoothing crow’s feet
- Improving dark circles under the eyes, as well as puffiness
- Treating rosacea
- Minimizing acne scarring
- General rejuvenation for more youthful skin
Is PRP therapy painful?
No, treatment is not typically painful. The treatment area is numbed topically before any injections are performed. Most patients experience little to no discomfort during the procedure. You may experience some tenderness after treatment but this will quickly fade.
How long before I see PRP results?
The time until you see your full results will vary from patient to patient, depending on age, skin type, diet and more. Noticeable initial results may take anywhere from 2-12 weeks to appear.
Dr. Alkadri may recommend several treatment sessions at predetermined intervals to achieve your desired results. Touch-up treatments may also be beneficial.
How long will results last?
Length of results depends on the area treated and on many other factors. Dr. Alkadri will discuss specific expectations with you prior to treatment. On average, PRP facial results last up to 18-24 months.
Which PRP treatment is best for my concerns?
Schedule a consultation with Dr. Alkadri to learn more about his specific recommendations for your needs. He will be able to answer your questions in detail, examine your skin and help you discover your ideal treatment option.
PRP therapy has made an incredible difference to our patients’ lives and confidence – if you are interested, reach out today!