New Moms Love This Effective Treatment For Postpartum Hair Loss
Call for a Free Consultation (630) 734-3493​

New Moms Love This Effective Treatment For Postpartum Hair Loss

  • Hair

Postpartum hair loss

Most women experience hair thinning or hair loss during pregnancy or postpartum. Most of the time, the hair will re-thicken on its own, but for some new moms, your hair is never the same as it was before having a baby.

Hinsdale Vein & Laser is here to help all moms look and feel like the rockstars they are. Being a new parent comes with plenty of surprises, and thinning hair or bald spots doesn’t have to be one of them. PRP hair therapy can produce outstanding results for postpartum hair loss.

Causes of Hair Loss During Pregnancy

At any given time, approximately 90% of your hair should be continually growing, while the other 10% of your hair follicles are in a resting phase. New hair grows from the follicles in every two to three months once the resting hair falls out.

During or after pregnancy, hormonal fluctuations cause a more significant percentage of a woman’s hair follicles to go into the dormant resting phase. As a result, as hair falls out, the follicles do not produce new hair. The result is thinning of the hair that presents itself in either patches or all over the head. This condition is medically referred to as telogen effluvium (TE) and is believed to affect up to 40% of pregnant women up to give months post-pregnancy.

Platelet Rich Plasma

What is it?

Plasma is the liquid portion of whole blood. It is composed mainly of water and proteins, and it provides a medium for red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets to circulate through the body. Platelets, also referred to as thrombocytes, are blood cells that cause blood clots and promote other necessary growth healing functions within the body. Platelets play an essential role in the body’s natural healing process.

How does PRP work?

During PRP (platelet-rich plasma) hair loss treatments, blood is drawn from the patient in our Wheaton office. The blood is then centrifuged, which separates it, extracting only the plasma. Plasma is naturally rich in the body’s growth factors and contains up to eight times the concentration of blood. Plasma also contains several growth factors that heal, calm inflammation and stimulate growth.

The platelet-rich plasma is then injected back into the patient’s scalp at the hair follicle level, using a micro-needle. The injections are applied into the area of thinning hair every ½ inch. The entire treatment takes roughly 30 minutes.

After the PRP has been injected, your scalp is stimulated to grow new hair in addition to maintaining existing hair by eliminating the shedding process. Encouraging hair follicles to enter into an active growth phase will give your hair the boost it needs.

When To Expect Results

Some patients have noticeable results in as little as two weeks following treatment. On average, you can expect to see full results in 6-8 weeks. The first result many patients notice is less hair shedding, with existing hair growing longer.

The Ultimate Hair Loss Treatment For Anyone

At Hinsdale Vein & Laser, we most often see two types of hair loss patients interested in PRP hair therapy: chronic hair loss for both male and female pattern balding and acute hair loss for postpartum hair loss. Patients with areas of poor quality hair growth on the scalp with functioning hair follicles have the greatest success with PRP hair growth treatments.

While most can benefit from PRP therapy, those with “shiny” bald spots and long-standing balding are not the best candidates for this treatment. Determining the cause of your hair loss will enable us to establish a customized hair restoration treatment plan for your individual needs.

Is PRP Right For You?

If you are suffering from telogen effluvium or another cause of hair loss, schedule a consultation appointment with our experienced hair loss and restoration team. Together, we will determine the cause of your hair loss and establish a customized hair restoration treatment plan for your individual needs. Call Hinsdale Vein & Laser today to schedule your postpartum PRP consultation.

Close Menu
Call Now
Directions