A double chin is prominent and stubborn. A common cosmetic concern, double chins affect patients of all ages – and can also worsen as the years pass. If you’ve tried diet and exercise and are still struggling with submental fullness, learn more about double chin treatment options to find one that fits your needs. Chin liposuction is a lunchtime procedure with long-term results. Sculpt your profile and regain confidence.
What do patients gain from chin liposuction?
Chin liposuction addresses excess fat below the chin and at the top of the neck. This accomplishes a few different treatment goals:
- Slims a double chin – Liposuction removes fat from the submental area to immediately slim the chin.
- Defines the jawline – Removing excess fat allows for the jawline to become stronger and more defined overall.
- Reduces wrinkles and fine lines – Reducing neck and chin fat helps to smooth and visually elongate the neck.
Liposuction is the most popular cosmetic surgical procedure and can be used across the body. Chin liposuction is an especially appealing treatment because the fat is easy to access and the incisions are easily hidden. Treatment can be completed quickly with only minimal downtime.
How does chin liposuction work?
While every patient is unique, your chin liposuction will follow an approximation of these treatment steps:
- Consultation – Dr. Alkadri will meet with you, evaluate your chin and neck and discuss your goals. He will form a potential treatment plan that fits your preferences and budget. If chin liposuction isn’t ideal, Dr. Alkadri also offers Kybella injections for noninvasive double chin treatment.
- Marking – The treatment areas are marked, as well as incision locations. With chin liposuction, incisions are made in the crease where the chin and neck meet.
- Numbing – The chin is numbed with local anesthetic so that treatment is comfortable. Sedation is also available.
- Cleaning – The skin is cleaned with antiseptic solution to reduce the risk of infection.
- Incisions – Small incisions are made at the treatment site, no larger than 5-10mm, and placed so that any scarring will be hidden.
- Liposuction – A narrow cannula is inserted through each incision. Dr. Alkadri moves the cannula to break up and remove excess fat from the chin. He is careful and precise with his movements so that fat is evenly removed and the skin’s surface is smooth.
- Wrapping – A bandage is placed around the chin and head to support the skin as it heals.
- Healing – The patient is able to return home right away. After a few days of downtime, they are able to return to work and most regular activities.
What are typical chin liposuction results?
Chin liposuction is tailored to the patient so that their results suit their overall appearance and cosmetic goals. Results are long-term and will last for years to come.
What is laser liposuction?
Laser liposuction is appropriate for patients who are experiencing both a double chin and sagging, loose skin below the chin and/or on the neck. The laser helps tighten and lift the skin to create a clean line from the chin to the neck. Ask Dr. Alkadri whether laser liposuction might be ideal for you at your consultation.
Am I a candidate for chin and neck liposuction?
Most individuals unhappy with a double chin are good liposuction candidates. That said, there are a variety of preferences and goals to consider when determining your ideal double chin treatment. Schedule a complimentary consultation to learn more about the treatment plan that best fits your needs in a private, one-on-one consultation with Dr. Alkadri.
Are there noninvasive alternatives for double chin treatment?
Yes, there are nonsurgical treatment options available. Hinsdale Vein and Laser offers Kybella, a series of injections that dissolves fat in the chin so that it is able to safely dissipate. If you are interested in Kybella, schedule a consultation to learn whether you are a candidate.
Frequently Asked Chin Liposuction Questions
How safe is chin liposuction?
Chin liposuction has limited risks and few instances of infection. The most important way to minimize your safety risks is to select an experienced, qualified provider. Dr. Alkadri is an interventional radiologist with decades of experience in minimally invasive cosmetic and medical procedures.
It is also important to follow your post-procedure instructions carefully and contact the office if anything is out of the ordinary or you have questions.
How long does the procedure take?
Chin lipo typically takes only 30 minutes, making it a minimal commitment procedure. You are able to return home immediately afterwards and there is no clinic or hospital stay required.
Is liposuction painful?
The treatment area is numbed with local anesthetic prior to liposuction, so the patient does not experience discomfort during the procedure. We also offer sedation to patients seeking the most relaxing experience possible. Dr. Alkadri will prescribe oral pain medication for the recovery period.
How much downtime will I experience after my procedure?
Most patients are able to return to work within a few days. Light activity is also possible within a few days. A compression bandage is worn for the first day, and then a lighter bandage for the few days following. This helps ensure that the skin heals evenly and smoothly, and the tissues below the chin gently tighten. There may be some swelling for up to 2-4 weeks, depending on the patient. Swelling is typically minimal and any bruising is minimal as well.
Follow your aftercare instructions and get in touch if any questions arise.
When will I see full results?
Results will be immediately visible following treatment. They will continue to improve as the swelling decreases in the weeks to follow.
How long will my results last?
Liposuction aims to provide long-term results. The aging process will continue, and it is possible for fat to regather in the chin area at some point in the future. Talk to Dr. Alkadri about what you can expect to see in the years to come following your liposuction.
How much does chin liposuction cost?
Each patient is unique, and their treatment follows suit. Chin liposuction cost varies and will be higher if the patient chooses to add on laser treatment and/or sedation. Dr. Alkadri and our team will outline expected treatment costs and payment options before you begin treatment.