Drooping eyelids can be incredibly frustrating. They age us prematurely and make us look tired and less than alert. Plus, low-lying eyelids are more than just an aging concern. As our eyelids droop, this can interfere with our vision and make it difficult to drive or read as comfortably. Wider eyes are possible without surgery – Upneeq is a prescription eyedrop that opens your eyes with once-daily application.
Before and After Upneeq Eyedrops
How does Upneeq work?
- Upneeq is an FDA-approved medication that lifts eyelids quickly – typically within 2 hours.
- Upneeq is oxymetazoline hydrochloride ophthalmic solution. Oxymetazoline activates the muscle that controls the upper eyelid. This leads the muscle to contract, raising the eyelid.
- In clinical trials, 84% of patients saw some improvement to low-lying eyelids and 74% saw more than 50% improvement.
- The daily dose of Upneeq is effective for at least 6 hours.
- Upneeq can typically be used alongside other eye drops. Be sure to discuss any other eye drops you use with your provider to avoid potential complications
Why do I have low-lying eyelids?
Low-lying eyelids are also known as ptosis. This is a common medical condition that tends to worsen with age.
- Ptosis occurs when the involuntary muscles in the eyelids weaken. They’re not able to hold the eyelids as far open as they once were, and they fall lower over your eyes.
- Acquired ptosis is more straightforward than other issues leading to ptosis like cataract surgery or other medical conditions. We may recommend that you see an ophthalmologist before beginning Upneeq to ensure there aren’t underlying issues that require different treatment.
- Because acquired ptosis develops gradually, many people don’t realize that their eyelids are hanging lower.
- In addition to prematurely aging you, low-lying eyelids can cause vision impairment because they narrow your field of vision.
- This can interfere with tasks like reading, driving, using a computer and looking up.
How do I apply Upneeq eyedrops?
- Treatment is simple. With your Upneeq prescription, you’ll receive a set of single-use vials. They are typically dispensed as either a 30-day or 45-day supply.
- Each day, you’ll open one single-use vial.
- You’ll then apply one drop to each eye from the vial. Each vial contains enough medication for one drop in each eye.
- After using, throw away the vial.
- If you’re using another medicated eyedrop, allow 15 minutes to pass before applying your other eyedrop.
- Results typically last at least 6 hours after daily application.
Are Upneeq drops right for me?
Request a consultation to meet with one of our providers and learn more about Upneeq. If you have developed low-lying eyelids over time, it’s likely that you’re a good candidate. But it’s important to ensure that there aren’t other underlying issues that might require different treatment methods. Reach out today to take the first step.